- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 (2 to 3 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Make the jerk rub by combining the salt, allspice, brown sugar, onion powder, garlic, nutmeg, pepper, ginger, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, and thyme.
- Toss the chicken pieces with the spice mixture, then cover, and marinate in the refrigerator 2 to 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Pour the vegetable oil into a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Place the chicken pieces skin-side up into the baking dish. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour 20 minutes, until no longer pink near the bone.
- Turn the oven on to broil, and cook until the skin crisps, 2 to 5 minutes.