- 1 pound beef oxtail, cut into pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
- 1 scotch bonnet chile pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup canned fava beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice berries
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Toss the oxtail with the onion, green onion, garlic, ginger, chile pepper, soy sauce, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the oxtail in the skillet until browned all over, about 10 minutes.
- Place into a pressure cooker, and pour in 1 1/2 cup water. Cook at pressure for 25 minutes, then remove from heat, and remove the lid according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Add the fava beans and allspice berries, and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Dissolve the cornstarch in 2 tablespoons water, and stir into the simmering oxtail.
- Cook and stir a few minutes until the sauce has thickened, and the beans are tender.
This is a traditional Jamaican dish